Playa Cerritos—or Cerritos Beach, is a beautiful and peaceful seashore located in Todos Santos, Mexico, and is considered one of the best beaches in the area.
If you are traveling to Baja California Sur, perhaps you’ll want to spend a couple of days at the ‘Magic Town’ of Todos Santos and explore all the beauty this special place has to offer.
Located about 10 minutes from downtown Todos Santos, Cerritos Beach is a must-visit spot you’ll not want to miss when you visit La Baja Sur.
Prepare to enjoy Cerritos’ crystal-clear waters, great waves for surfing, relaxing seating areas with shades, and of course, lovely restaurants and bars nearby.
Why Visit Cerritos Beach
If you want a perfect day in the sun, this beach is a good alternative in the area; Being a swimmable beach, Cerritos can be experienced as a beautiful and serene place in Baja Sur.
Just beware of strong currents, as sometimes it is best to stay on the shore rather than swim too far away from the edge.
Baja Tip: Cerritos is one of the most popular beaches in Todos Santos, and it can get quite crowded on weekends and holidays. It is best to visit this beautiful place on weekdays or outside local festivities.
The parking: If you come here by car, it could be challenging to find a spot to park, so we strongly suggest arriving early or taking advantage of the free parking at the nearby Pemex station—there you go, a local trick you can do.
Where exactly is Cerritos Beach?
Cerritos is located inside La Paz municipality, about ten minutes from downtown Todos Santos and is easily accessible by car or taxi.
The beach is situated on the Pacific Ocean side of the Baja Peninsula and is known for its clear turquoise waters, white-sand beaches, and gentle waves.
How to get to Cerritos Beach?
Depending on where you are, here are two main ways to get to Playa Cerritos:
From Cabo San Lucas
Drive approximately one hour north on Highway 19 until you reach Todos Santos. Cerritos Beach is located a few kilometers outside town on the right-hand side.
From La Paz
Drive south on Highway 19 for about one and a half hours until you reach Todos Santos.
There are also taxis available in Todos Santos to take you out to Cerritos Beach. Just be sure to negotiate a price before getting in the cab!
What to Bring
Cerritos is a beautiful and secluded beach, so it is easy to enjoy extended hours at the seashore chilling and swimming—like locals love doing!
To make the best of your visit, make sure to bring the following items to the beach:
- Reef-safe sunscreens (a lot)
- Cooler with water, snacks, and drinks (there are no services or restaurants available)
For young families, it’s also a good idea to bring some beach toys to keep the kiddos entertained—and adults relaxed!
If you want to eat nearby, you’ll find some good restaurants and cheap eateries around. Just keep in mind that you’ll have to abandon your spot at the beach or maybe leave your crew there and walk to grab a takeaway.
Things to do at Cerritos Beach
If you were asking, some of the activities you can enjoy at Cerritos Beach are:
- Walking along the seashore
But perhaps the most desirable adventure for some people is its world-class surfing— don’t forget about the crystal-clear waters and stunning views!
If you have a more laidback idea in mind, Cerritos is also a great place to relax in the shade of a palm tree, and probably that is my favorite thing here! Not that I am too lazy, right?
As I will share more deeply in the section below, there are a few restaurants and bars near Cerritos Beach, making it the perfect spot to spend a day or evening. You’ll love to have a lovely coastal meal after a long day at the beach!
Werther, you are looking for extreme adventures or a relaxing day with the family, Cerritos is definitely a must-see destination while visiting Todos Santos!
Surf in Cerritos Beach
Cerritos beach is a world-famous surfing spot in Baja California Sur, Mexico, and this is because, like any other surfing sport, it has perfect waves for all levels of surfers.
As you can see, this is a magnific attraction for adventure seekers from all over the world and what is even more attractive is the Mexican vibe around.
If you have never tried this activity before, perhaps being at Cerritos Beach will make you feel tempted, as it is ubiquitous to see people having fun while they ride the waves.
Whenever you decide to give it a try, Cerritos is a favorite spot for plenty of rental shops nearby should you need to gear up!
Restaurants and Bars
Even though there are no services, some fantastic restaurants and bars are located near Cerritos Beach, making it the perfect spot for a relaxing holiday.
Suppose you are interested in going for a brunch or maybe a cheeky drink. In that case, this list has something for everyone, from restaurants with ocean views to more town-styled eateries that serve delicious fish tacos and ceviche or hamburgers. Some of our favorites include:
– Sandbar Cerveceria y Asadero: This might be the first place to go for most people. This casual beachfront bar is a great place to enjoy a cold drink and some snacks while watching the waves roll in; with amazing views of the Pacific Ocean, you can be sure they serve up some of the best Mexican food in all of Todos Santos.
– Riptide Bar: If you are looking for a place with a great scenic view, this cocktail bar might be your best bet. The Riptide is a more hippie vibed bar located not far from Cerritos Beach, and you can enjoy nachos con frijoles while you zip a refreshing mojito under the shade during your holiday.
– Casa Maya Restaurant and Barefoot Cantina: This is a more sophisticated place where you’ll find dishes like sashimi, elaborated sushi rolls, lamb ribs, salads, and hamburgers. Even tho the views are not the prime here; you can bet the area is beautiful enough to enjoy a pleasant afternoon or evening eating here.
– Shaka’s Delicious Wood Cantina: According to many, many visitors’ reviews, this place is “The Place” in the area, offering unique dishes you’ll not find elsewhere. This relaxed vegan-friendly restaurant serves salads, hamburgers, nachos con guacamole, and original concoctions with stir-fried vegetables and seafood—I have never seen these ones!
– Barracuda Cantina: This is probably my favorite place here in Cerritos Beach. For this reason, I thoroughly enjoyed watching the “Fish Taco” episode from Netflix Taco Chronicles, as these guys were one of the stars of this show —if you love tacos, you should watch it too! Run by a Mexican couple, this place truly honors our love for fish tacos, and you can enjoy this original dish a couple of minutes away from the beach without any bragging. Nothing can beat that!
– Freesouls Cerritos Restaurant: With beautiful views and a sophisticated menu, this modern restaurant is also part of a more ambitious project that includes condos and villas as a shared real estate investment for people interested in living in this area. Here you’ll find delicious pizzas, crepes, salads, seafood dishes, mojitos, martinis, and much more.
Hierbabuena: This organic pioneer far-to-table restaurant is a bit farther away from Playa Cerritos. If you drive between 15 to 20 minutes via the 19th Highway, you can come here. I personally loved their style and the way they present many options for those who love vegetables and clean eating— simply delicious! If you ask me, this is a great place to try mainly vegetable dishes, but also, you can taste a pretty decent pizza, enchiladas, meat, fish, and more.
Cerritos Cheap Eats.
If you’re looking for something more casual, you can head to a couple of options worth exploring. They have a great selection of beers on tap and some delicious burgers and tacos.
This is my go-to when I’m on the road, and I have no time for waitress and bills afterward—my quickies, I should say!
Carnitas Machin Pescadero: This absolute local hit is very close to Hierbabuena Restaurant. Many people can’t be wrong when rating cheapie eating like this. Here you’ll find delicious Michoacán-style tacos, and trust me; you’ll appreciate this style! The average cost for a meal here is about 4 USD per person + drinks.
– Hamburguesas La Combi: Recently opened, this food truck offers traditional meat and vegan patties served with homemade hamburger bun bread—yep, worthy of trying! If you fancy a nice fast food place when you visit Cerritos, this might be a good option. My favorite part is that they are pretty close to the beach, which means this is one of the places you can walk there without abandoning your spot.
So whether you’re looking for a place to eat near Cerritos Beach or just want to enjoy a beautiful day drinking a refreshing cocktail near the beach, these restaurants and bars are definitely worth checking out.
Hotels and accommodation
If you’re looking for a place to stay near Cerritos Beach, there are several excellent options to choose from.
Over the last few years, this area has been growing at a high pace and, as for the trend, it isn’t going to stop now.
When I was a little child, Cerritos was more like a dusty road with a lonely beach; only a few dozens of locals could access here, as they live in the little villas around Todos Santos. Well, those days are “been and gone.”
Nowadays, Cerritos Beach is also an excellent place for ex-pats and nationals that want to relax and enjoy the sun and sand. Indeed there are a decent few options as hostels, hotels, and vacation rentals available if you’re going to stay in this area for a while.
The community here is more about a chill-out vibe, mostly young surfers and adventure seekers. Still, it is also very common to see retired people who appreciate nature and comfort. I’m happy to say that this place is promising!
Holiday Rentals in Cerritos Beach
If you’re looking for a place to stay, these are great options to start checking.
You can find everything from houses to condos, and most of them are right on the beachfront.
Popular Hotels and Condo Rentals
For the record, we made a little bit of digging already, and these are our favorite top 3 places to stay on the Cerritos Beach:
1. Cerritos Surf Town Beach Hotel & Spa
This hotel is our Top 1 because for one sole reason: unbeatable value for money!
This trendy beach hotel is situated in a prime location in Cerritos, right in front of the seashore, and probably is considered a top alternative for most visitors.
Cerritos Surf Town Beach Hotel & Spa is a place designed for people who are looking for a beach hotel that has a little more than just sand and waves. Here you can book surf lessons, enjoy a tasty meal at their restaurant or relax with an invigorating massage.
2. Sol Pacifico Cerritos
This is a condo rental available at Airbnb, and according to most customer reviews, the staff service is sensational. This charming accommodation is located right on Cerritos Beach, with a beautiful pool and green areas, offering ocean views from every room. There is no doubt this is a great place to bring your family and celebrate a lovely getaway.
3. Cerritos Beach Inn
I could describe this place as a homey stay; with green Mexican walls in some rooms, rustic furniture, and crafty decorations, you can feel the fresh atmosphere when you come to the Cerritos area. Located about 15 minutes walking from the beach, Cerritos Beach Inn has been referred to as a quiet and private space for travelers with fantastic service and amenities.
If you’re looking for a more city-like option, there are several excellent hotels and hostels located in the town of Todos Santos.
Whatever your budget or travel style, there is a great accommodation option near Cerritos Beach in Todos Santos. So don’t miss out on this beautiful beach – book your dream stay for your next holiday!
Welcome to Cerritos Beach!
I would like to finish by saying this post was created with the best intentions to share only helpful information for travelers willing to explore this beautiful area of Todos Santos.
Cerritos Beach turns out to be one of our favorite spots in the ‘El Pescadero’ region and is definitely worth a visit if you’re in Baja Sur.
The beach is vast, and the waves are perfect for swimming, boogie boarding, and surfing: it is really a fun place to be! Also, let’s say this beach possesses an extraordinary attribute. The fantastic Pacific Ocean sunsets are something quite particular in the area.
It is simply beautiful! So grab your sunscreen, towels, and hats and head on down to Cerritos Beach for a day of fun in the sun—trust me, you’ll fall in love like most visitors!